For the Sponge:
200g butter softened
200g light soft brown sugar
240g self-raising flour
50g walnuts, toasted and finely chopped or blended
200ml strong espresso (we used Crema Delux Coffee Beans), cooled
For the Cream:
75g brown (preferably dark) sugar
cocoa powder to decorate
1. Heat oven to 170C/fan. Butter 2 x 20 cm sandwich tins and line the bottoms with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
4. Add flour and 100 ml of the espresso mixing thoroughly.
5. Fold in the walnuts.
6. Spoon the mix into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 mins or until golden and well risen.
7. Sweeten the remaining coffee with the extra sugar and sprinkle 4 tbsp over the sponges when they have cooled down.
8. For the filling, beat the mascarpone and the remaining espresso (adding gradually) until fluffy.
9. Use half the mix to sandwich the cakes and spread the other half over the top. Decorate with a dusting of cocoa powder.